Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Emergency trip to Missouri

Two weeks ago I received a call from Jessica that their little boy needed emergency surgery. We had 36 hours notice, so I called Joseph at work so he could make arrangements to take it off. I spent the rest of the day getting everything ready, like  shopping for frozen food for the boys so they would have something to eat while we were gone, as well as for us to eat on our travels.  Since we were going all the way to Missouri Joseph wanted to stay a few extra days.  We got up early the next morning and were on the road by 3:45 am.  We took turns driving so could do it in one day.  By the time we got there 17 hours later, I was pretty numb.  Thankfully the surgery went well and Alex is recovering quickly. In the time we were there he improved a great deal.  You can read more about it on Jessica's blog.  I was so glad we could be there and help out with the other boys. We had a great time taking the boys to and from school and they sure loved having their papa there to play "pizza mountain".  I enjoyed feeding the chickens.  We always had chickens growing up and I didn't realize how much I missed being around them.  Missouri has been in a terrible drought this summer and everything was so brown.  They had some rain while we were there.  Saturday after Alex came home from the hospital, we left him and Jessica at home to rest while Bill took us to a nearby state park where we hiked to Devils Ice cave. These are the pictures we took there.
 
 reading about the cave system. 
 some of the caves have collapsed so these are the areas we saw.  This is looking down a  sink hole into one of the cave entrances.  We went down there and it was pleasantly cool.
 This is one area that is now a tunnel
 walking over to another opening
 Brian patiently waiting for us to finish reading the markers
 Bill with Brian and Trevor walking on the rocks in the stream
 Joseph and I with the grandsons
 Zachary and Brian,  stranded on an island  "Oh what are we going to do!!"
Brain riding his scooter
Zachary proud of being able to ride his bike without training wheels 
Here's our precious little one who is doing so well after surgery.  He is the happiest baby.  He has gone through so much in his five months and we are so grateful for the many miracles that continue to take place in his behalf.  We enjoyed our trip to Missouri.  For some reason it always feels like home to me.  I keep telling Joseph we need to move back there someday, but by then we probably won't have any family there anymore.  We took two days coming home which made it nice. We stayed in Sydney, Nebraska where Cabela's has a really nice campground and of course Joseph loves to wander through Cabela's.


No comments:

Post a Comment