Last week I had to go to Chicago for a business trip to attend a robotics conference. This was my first time to Chicago and I can say it was impressive. Lots of tall buildings along with subways and elevated trains. While I was there they were experiencing record cold temperatures for the whole week. Temps were anywhere between 10-32 with lots of humidity made it really cold so I didn't spend much time outdoors. It also snowed for the first time in over a year so on that day, traffic was a mess (it looks like it is the same every where you go, on the first snowstorm of the year, no one remembers how to do winter driving and traffic comes to a stand still). When it was time to come home, SLC couldn't be outdone and we had our first ever ice storm. We were experiencing our typical winter inversion with nice warm temperatures in the mountains but below freezing temperatures in the valley. So when it rained, it quickly turned to ice and caused the SLC airport to close (first ever for SLC airport). Unfortunately that meant my flight got canceled and I had to wait until the following day to come home. My direct flight from Chicago to SLC got changed to a flight from Chicago to Memphis, and then to SLC. I had to take the long way home but it was nice to finally be home again.

Subway
View of downtown from the 95th floor of the John Hancock building
Lake Michigan in the distance (as seen from the John Hancock building)
View of downtown from my hotel room
No comments:
Post a Comment