After visiting Great Basin National Park, it was time to go home. We decided to go through Ely Nevada because they had a historic train museum from the Nevada Northern Railway. At this national historic landmark, visitors are allowed to walk through the dirt and grime of a living running train shop where they restore and run their steam and other locomotives. As we approached the steam engine I asked how long it takes to warm it up to back it out of the train house so that they could take it on a ride and the conductor said 5 hours. He asked if I wanted to help and of course I said yes. He let me help shovel coal to fire up the boiler. It was a lot of fun and a great way to end our trip.
Restored steam locomotive
Debra walking through the train house
Shoveling coal into the fire box of the steam locomotive
Walking around the train yard
No comments:
Post a Comment