We did it! Yes, Eric and I completed the Gran Fondo 100 mile
bike ride. Well, actually it was 106 but who's counting. Knowing that we were
going to have to get up early for the start of the race, we stayed the night
before in a hotel in Logan. I'm sure it was nice for everyone else but being
just a bit nervous, I didn't get much sleep that night. The race started at
6:30 so we were up by 5:30 so we could get ready and eat something before the race. The starting line was packed with riders and their bikes and at 6:45
it was our turn to start (they let the professional racers go first). We had
great weather, which made the first part of the ride very nice. As the day went
on however, the cloud cover burned off and the full heat of the sun was on.
We kept going and encouraged each other along as best we could. We had a surge
of excitement when we hit 100 miles but we both knew it still wasn't over yet and
that last 6 miles might as well have been another 20 because it sure felt like
it. My legs were burning and I was completely exhausted but we kept going. With
a final push, we were able to cross the finish line. We were on the saddle for
7 hours and 54 minutes. Even today I am still a little sore but we can now say
"We did it - 100 miles". Thank you everyone for your support. We couldn't
have done it without you.
Getting the bikes ready in the morning
100 miles ahead of us but we are ready
We can do this
Just a few hundred feet to go to the finish line
(Eric pointed out to me that 100 miles is over half a million feet or approximately 528,000)
We made it but I think I am too tired to get off my bike
Eric had a surprise support group
At the finish podium
No comments:
Post a Comment